October 26, 2009
So this genius creation came about because my mom bought a gazillion apples and I REALLY wanted apple pie but was too lazy to do it the traditional way. My favorite way to eat it is a la mode!
Apple Pie Bars with Almond Streusel Topping
1 cup butter, cold and cubed
1 3/4 cups flour
2/3 cup icing sugar
4 medium sized cooking apples, cored, peeled and sliced thinly
4 tbsps of butter
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cut flour
1/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
1/4 cup almond slices chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Using two knives or a pastry blender cut butter into flour and sugar. When pieces are small, pinch with your finger tips until it forms a crumbly mixture.
3. Press into a lined 9x13" inch pan and bake fro 20 mins.
1. While the crust is baking, melt butter and sugar in a medium saucepan or pot. Add the apples and cook over medium high until the apples are soft and caramelized (about 20-25 mins). Stir often.
2. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Reduce heat and let the juices evaporate and thicken.
4. Spread the filling over top of the warm crust.
1. Cut butter into flour and sugar until crumbly.
2. Add chopped nuts
3. Sprinkle over the filling and bake for an additional 20 mins.
Cool for about 2 hours (or just dig in), cut into bars and enjoy!
Notes: You can add raisins, cranberries or other nuts to the streusel topping if you wish.